The novel takes place in Nazi Germany before and during the Second World War. As for the rest of the synopsis, you can look it up on amazon or wikipedia. I'll just say that the protagonist- the book thief- loves books, even before she can read them. But it extends beyond that- she loves more than the books, she loves the words. I mean, let's face it- You don't steal and read The Gravedigger's Handbook for a fun story. But that was how she learned to read, by reading this book that slipped from the gravedigger's pocket as he departed from her brother's grave.
Don't worry, you figure that out in the first few pages, so I'm not spoiling anything. Besides, the narrator has no trouble spoiling... everything, essentially. In his own words, "I know what happens and so do you" (243). The narrator being Death in Nazi Germany, I think it's safe to say that we know what happens.
There are many themes that run through the novel, too many to cover here. The power and value of friendship, raising children, overcoming tragedies, even beauty in imperfect music. One that I want to write about, but won't right now, is the value of human life. But I paid the most attention to the power of words, so I will write about that. It reminded me a bit of reading Born to Run- it spoke of a kind of love for something, a passion that too few understand. One book held it for running- this one holds it for words.
Like all things, words are like two sides to a coin. There's a good side and a bad side. Pure and undefiled, words have the capacity to heal, to inspire, to create. I am reminded of a scripture in Moses- "and he spake the word of the Lord, and the earth trembled, and the mountains fled, even according to his command; and the rivers of water were turned out of their course; ... so powerful was the word of Enoch, and so great was the power of the language which God had given him" (Moses 7:13). Words can move mountains. Unfortunately, they appear to have that capacity when used for unsavory purposes. The perfect example is Hitler- his power was in words. He built armies that lived and breathed what he said to them, and I don't think I need to cover what Hitler did. I think we can all say he left a large dark stain on the history of mankind. But he did it with words.
But I think that's the key difference between what we know of words and what this book describes. Words are so often used as a tool in everything we do, and an excellent tool at that. For good or for evil, words are a power influence. But what if you loved the words themselves? Something beyond using them- where you didn't learn to read to learn, you learned to read for the sake of reading? To soak in the words, the beautiful words?
The protagonist, Liesel Meminger, writes in her own book about the words- about their power to destroy what she loves, and yet their power to heal the damage done. In writing her own story, she writes:
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." Even when the words had destroyed all she held dear, she holds true to them in their pure and undefiled form- and tries to fix what she can in her own small way.
Historically, it reminds me of B.H. Roberts. One of the greatest scholars in Mormon history, his childhood was one of poverty. And abuse, and abandonment and all that, but you get the idea. He didn't learn to read until after he made the journey to Salt Lake City as a nine-year-old. And after he learned? He became a "voracious reader, devouring books of history, science, and philosophy." He loved the words, and he devoured all the ones he could get his hands on.
So think about that next time you read 2 Nephi 32:3. For what words they are, the words of Christ! The words of eternal life are filling indeed to all those who feast upon them, but I think especially so for those who love words.

As always, great, thought-provoking writing! Rest assured that we're going to be referring to it at our book club. It excites me and grieves me that you won't be with us to discuss it in person...
ReplyDelete